This Week

Running Log

PR's

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Disney after the Marathon

I did not run the Disney Marathon, though I had a couple of friends who did.


However, I did arrive at the parks with my family the day after the race. It seemed like about 1 out of every 3 guests were wearing a race shirt (nice looking but not spectacular). A small part of me (mostly my legs) enjoyed watching the post marathon shuffle. Every step and every movement appearing closer to the limits of human pain than the entire race did the day before. Safely, a month removed from my own post marathon pain, I smiled knowingly.


What I did not understand was what appeared to be an even greater number of people who were ambling through the park showing no effects from their 26.2 mile distance dance. How could it be? Did they know something I did not know? Were they superhuman? Did they buy the shirt at one of the gazillion gifts shops on property? Several times I came very close to interogating these all "too happy" walkers only to be restrained by not wanting to reveal the dark secrets of my own race recovery.


What makes matters worse is the people with the lightest steps were those wearing the grey Goofy shirts. These shirts proclaimed that they had run both the half and the full marathons over the weekend.


I guess it really is a magical place!


No comments: